To Teach or Not to Teach?

To teach or not to teach? That was the question for the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2019, Rebeca Garcia. From Roma, Texas to becoming an english major at what is considered the best university in existence to teaching English 285: Young Adult Literature in Film as an undergraduate student, Garcia chose to better prepare for her future by choosing the teaching route this semester. Here's how it's going so far. 

1. What are you teaching this semester? 
I am teaching English 285: Young Adult Literature in Film. It is a one hour seminar that meets once a a week on Tuesdays! In this seminar we read novels and talk about the themes they present and how character's are portrayed. After that we watch their film adaptations and talk about how the novel's original themes and character portrayal were changed and whether these changes were positive or negative. Apart from the changes, we also try to focus on how both medium's stand on their own, whether they were presentable creative works or what type of messages they are trying to give. 

2. Why choose teaching over developing your own thesis? 
I decided to choose teaching over a thesis because I felt it would better prepare me for my future. I am still trying to decide whether I want to become an English professor in the future and I thought this would be a great experience. I was able to spend a semester planning out this course with my mentor, Dr. Elizabeth Robinson, and am now able to see it actually come to life which has been a wonderful experience so far. 

3. What's your goal by the time the term ends? 
My goal to reach before the term ends is to hopefully have reached the students and helped them understand how novels and their film adaptations are related. I want them to be able to identify the positives and the negatives to the changes made in the film in contrast to the book. Apart from this, I also want these students to learn how to listen to other people's opinions respectively and be able to use these differing opinion to foster creative discussions.

4. As an undergraduate student, how does your curriculum relate to your students? 
I have had a multitude of literature and film classes which helped me create this course. These classes have helped me relate what I am teaching to them and try to make it relevant to their everyday lives. Additionally there have been many occasions where we are having discussions in class, and I'll be able to relate our discussion to something that I was taught in the past and be able to use that to support my argument.

5. What does a regular teaching day look like for you? 
My teaching days are honestly like any other day except it's filled with nerves that plague me until the very last minute of class. Usually I'll wake up and look over my teaching notes until I have my first class (Rhetoric of Style) at 9:25am. After that, I'll head over to my classroom and have to rearrange desks so that our class can have a more intimate setting where we can talk to each other more easily. From then on, it's just focusing on my presentation and information I need to deliver. In all honesty, it's a lot of fun. Being able to talk about something I'm so passionate about with group of students who seem to enjoy it as well has been so delightful and exhilarating. 

6. What has been your favorite memory/part so far?
I think my favorite part so far was my third week of teaching. I had just had two weeks worth of teaching and they had both gone exceptionally well. This week they had been assigned to bring talking points to class which basically meant that they would need to have an argument to pose in class and defend. This led to an absolutely amazing class discussion. Everyone was so involved and energetic, it was a really good time. I loved hearing everyone express themselves and interact with everyone else's points that they had to make. 

"I am very happy to have chosen English as my major... There are so many wonderful experiences and caring faculty members that I have encountered...and I will always be grateful for it. My favorite part [being] traveling to London with my ENGL 390: London in Literature class and it would have not ben possible if it wasn't for the English department."

7. What has been the most difficult task yet? 
The most difficult task has probably been planning out my teaching notes before every class session. It took me three weeks to decide what teaching style I preferred and worked best with the class. I ended up liking the lecture/discussion route because I want them to be able to use the information I give them to steer their discussions. 

8. What are you learning from this experience? 
I've learned that it's very important to always be prepared for presentations. Having a semester to plan and research was very useful because it helped me overly prepare myself and know exactly which direction I wanted to take with each book I am teaching.

9. Would you want to do teaching as a career? 
I am overjoyed to say that I am planning to pursue teaching as a career. I am hoping to teach High School English, at any grade level. I want to teach this grade level because after a few years of teaching I want to get involved with extracurriculars as a sponsor. After about 10-15 years of teaching I hope to become a high school counselor because I want to help support students in their journey through adolescence and eventual decisions for their future.



10. Any advice for someone who wants to give this a try? 
My advice would be "Go for it!" It's been a wonderful experience so far. I have loved getting to know Dr. Robinson and having her guide me through the process. It was great exploring the topics I am teaching and being able to have my opinions changed constantly as I kept learning new things. The actual teaching itself is very fun and a great way for me to prepare for my future as an educator. Even if they don't want to be an educator in the future, it's a really good opportunity and experience being able to teach an undergraduate class of your own. If you really love something and think it's worth bringing awareness for, then as I said earlier "GO FOR IT!" 

11. Any aspirations in life? 
I hope to finish college soon and then travel the world as much as I can. Of course I would have to do this during my free time and be able to explore as many different countries and cultures as much as I can. I was able to study abroad twice during my undergraduate career and I enjoyed being able to immerse myself in these other countries. My goal is to visit at least 15 different countries before I die, which is ambitious, but I know still attainable. 

12. What does life look like after college? 
I was accepted into a post-bacc master's program here at Texas A&M. This master's program gives me the opportunity to teach at a high school while also being able to get a Master's in Curriculum and Instruction. After I finish this program, I will let the wind take me where it does, whether it's a future as an educator in a high school or in graduate school getting my doctorates in English. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Study Spots of College Station

"I took the leap of faith and transferred schools." - An Interview with Junior English Major, Trinity Behling

Open Educational Resources: The Changing Face of Textbooks