Aggie Author Q&A with Brooke Fossey and Lauren Allbright

Howdy, Ags!

We have the pleasure of interviewing not just one Aggie author, but two! Brooke and Lauren, both traditionally published authors, reached out to us so they could share their experience. What's even more amazing is that their friendship is proof that the Aggie Network continues to bring Aggies, who never met previously, together to form the strong bond that makes us who we are. Here is Brooke's personal account:

"Lauren and I are both proud Aggies whose paths should’ve crossed on campus, but that didn’t happen until we landed in the same neighborhood in Richardson, Texas. Besides our common bond as Aggies, we soon discovered that we both loved to write, and we've been each other’s constant champions ever since. Over the past eight years, we’ve supported each other during our failures (rejections, shelved books, etc.), but more importantly, we’ve celebrated our successes together. Recently, for both of us, that’s meant landing big New York literary agents and “Big 5” book contracts. (This will be my debut, and Lauren’s second release.) She and I are proof that the Aggie Network can work in surprising ways. We do not share the same major, nor career path, but we do share the same Texas A&M core values, work ethic and love for writing."
A huge thank you to Brooke and Lauren for taking time out of their busy schedule to do this for us. We would also like to extend our warmest congratulations to you both and we are so thrilled to share this celebration with you!  
____________________________________________________________________________________




Brooke Fossey, '01
BS Mechanical Engineering

Author Bio: 
Brooke Fossey was once an aerospace engineer with a secret clearance before she traded it all in for motherhood and writing. She's a past president and an honorary lifetime member of DFW Writers' Workshop. Her work can be found in numerous publications, including Ruminate Magazine and SmokeLong Quarterly. Her debut novel, THE BIG FINISH, was featured in the New York Post, People Magazine, Women’s World, and received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly. When she's not writing, you can find her in Dallas, Texas with her husband, four kids, and their dog Rufus. She still occasionally does math.
Twitter: @BAFossey 
Instagram: @BAFossey 
Facebook: @BAFossey


Publisher: Penguin/Berkley Publication Date: 4/14/2020
Book Summary:  THE BIG FINISH is the story of an 88-year-old man named Duffy Sinclair who is determined to button up his hard-lived life in peace at Centennial Assisted Living—but it’s disrupted when his roommate’s granddaughter climbs through their window with booze on her breath and a black eye. Before Duffy knows it, he’s running a covert operation to get her clean and back on her feet, risking home, health and harmony. The upside to the chaos: he has a chance to rewrite his legacy. THE BIG FINISH is a funny, insightful and life-affirming debut that delivers an unflinching look at growing old, living large, and loving big, as told by an 88-year-old man who didn’t see any of it coming.



Q&A with Brooke Fossey


What was your inspiration for writing your novel?
This book was inspired by the many visits I paid to my grandfather at his assisted living home. The entire facility was full of such wonderful people who deserved their own book, but more than that, they deserved to be the heroes of the story for once. 

How did your time at A&M influence you?
Texas A&M gave me some of my best memories, which show up throughout my writing in lots of different ways—through characters, scenes, relationships. Subtext aside, you’ll see a direct shout out to the university in THE BIG FINISH because…of course! More than anything, I’m most grateful for the Aggie network. I played lacrosse at A&M, and my old teammate (who now owns Pixl Production) came to my rescue after all of my live book launch events were cancelled due to COVID-19. She produced an amazing online event for me, and the entire Aggie lacrosse team showed up to participate. Being an Aggie has also gifted me with my best friend in life and writing, Lauren Allbright.

Do you have any tips for writing OR any tips on the publishing process?
Write because you love it, submit your work because it deserves to be seen, always consider your trusted critiques, and don’t be deterred by rejection. Also, remember that every writing job or assignment – no matter how basic – is a chance to get better at the craft.

5 favorite things about A&M OR favorite memory at A&M.
  1. Texas A&M Lacrosse – We won the Texas Women’s Lacrosse League at least three of the four years I played. 
  2. Commons Dining Hall – I had a meal plan all four years and left a dent in the buffet line.
  3. Sterling C. Evans Library – My home away from home, and my employer for a semester.
  4. Big 12 Championship Win in 1998 – What a wild ride!
  5. Aggie Bonfire Falling in 1999 – One of the saddest days on campus for all of us, but one of the best examples of the strength and love that can come from the Aggie spirit. We remember.

5 must-read craft books for Aggie Writers.
  1. GMC: Goal, Motivation, and Conflict by Debra Dixon
  2. The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi
  3. Self-editing for Fiction Writers by Dave King
  4. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
  5. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________




Lauren Allbright
BS Kinesiology '03
MS Education Curriculum & Instruction '05

Author Bio:
Lauren Allbright is the author of the middle-grade novel, Exit Strategy. When she is not writing (or failing in her attempts at Mom of the Year), she teaches seventh graders who might earn a record for some of the World’s Coolest Kids Ever. She lives in Dallas with her awesome husband and her three epic children.

Twitter: @laallbright
Instagram: lauren_allbright

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 9/1/2020


Book Summary:
Twelve-year-old Milo Moss has been on a mission to achieve his family’s lifelong goal: breaking a Guinness World Record. But when the record attempts don’t exactly go as planned, Milo is forced to deal with his failure. Will Milo be able to leave behind his dream of breaking into Guinness? Or will he learn that sometimes there’s more to life than winning?

Q&A with Lauren Allbright


What was your inspiration for writing your novel?
My kids—both in my home and my students—are at an age where two major events occur: the trophies for participation stop and they realize their parents are supremely uncool. When I recognized the struggle for middle graders transitioning from external to internal motivation, I wanted to explore it. Plus, I had some great “mom jokes” my kids didn’t want me to say around their friends, so I had to put them in a novel.

How did your time at A&M influence you?
My time at A&M was one best times in my life—I’d be a professional student if life allowed. I earned both my Bachelor’s and Master’s at A&M. I also met my husband there. Highlights were: living in Davis Gary, eating Freebirds, going to English classes, and attending football games (and then realizing that if I skipped the football games, I had the town to myself). The influence continues as I meet Aggies in everyday life and feel an automatic comradery. 

Do you have any tips for writing OR any tips on the publishing process?

Writers write. No matter what. And they keep doing it even if they are sure that what they are writing are the worst words ever strung together. The magic for every book happens in the drafting. That’s where the story becomes whole. 

Also, find people—writers and nonwriters—who will read your manuscript and be honest about what already works and what needs work. And, if at all possible, get yourself an amazing writer best friend to sludge through the struggle with you. (Looking at you, Brooke Fossey.)

Five favorite things about A&M OR favorite memory at A&M.
  1. Taking a middle grade literature class! I loved it so much. I’d stopped reading and writing for fun during the beginning of college because I was “too busy.” This class reminded me how much I loved to read and how I wanted to weave together stories of my own.
  2. Aggie Bonfire Falling in 1999 – I have to agree with Brooke about this one. Not my favorite memory, but this is one I will never forget. I was living in the dorms at the time, and I remember people banging on my door to see if I was in my room. This one still hurts.
  3. Training for my first marathon and first triathlon at the REC. 
  4. Eating at Sbisa. I still say, “Pick it up,” out of habit when people drop things. (I’m assuming that is still a thing.)
  5. College Station!!! I love the town and am always looking for a reason to move back. My husband I our bought our first house there when we were both in graduate school. My first child was born there. There is no better place!

Five must-read craft books for Aggie Writers.
  1. The Story Solution by Eric Edson
  2. The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass
  3. Save the Cat by Blake Synder
  4. World of Wonder by David Gerrold
  5. The Chicago Manual of Style—everybody should have a copy of this on his or her shelf!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Study Spots of College Station

"I took the leap of faith and transferred schools." - An Interview with Junior English Major, Trinity Behling

Open Educational Resources: The Changing Face of Textbooks