"I took the leap of faith and transferred schools." - An Interview with Junior English Major, Trinity Behling


Before becoming an Aggie, Texas A&M junior English major, Trinity Behling, studied graphic design at Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia. 

"I made the decision to transfer to Texas A&M because I knew the student body's reputation of being extremely devoted to building community." At first, Behling was a bit nervous. "I have always been an A's and B's student, so a part of me was nervous about the workload of my classes, especially coming in as a transfer student and needing time to adjust to the culture here at Texas A&M," Behling explained. "However, I found myself settling into my classes easily and found that the friendly culture made it trouble free when seeking advice."

“I chose to study English because I love the art of storytelling,”

said Behling, whose favorite part of A&M’s English department has been the professors. When speaking about them, she expressed that “they all act as mentors and are more than happy to build relationships with their students to encourage their success. In all of my English courses taken so far, the professors have been incredibly helpful and engaging. I feel supported in my decisions to become an English major every time I step into my English courses. This is something that I know would have been a make or break in my mindset in getting my English degree.”

When asked what she would tell someone who is debating the choice to pursue an English degree, she stated, “Usually when people think about English majors, they assume your career path is limited to either becoming an English teacher or a local coffee shop barista. I promise you there is more to an English degree than [that.] The classes are all incredibly intriguing, (and) the professors are super supportive. Taking a degree path in English offers you the ability to become an expert in skills like communication, organization, and writing in professional settings, among many other things, [opening] up doors of all kinds for career paths. I would highly recommend it.”

“One of the biggest things I had been expecting when [transferring] was having multitudes of opportunities to become a part of something bigger than myself.”

Behling’s experience so far at A&M has been “immediately rewarding. The community itself is very close-knit. There are so many organizations and degrees and classes to take that can help you find your people, as well as foster your personal growth in both academics and in general.  One of the biggest things I had been expecting when [transferring] was having multitudes of opportunities to become a part of something bigger than myself. Upon transferring to Texas A&M, I took the time to do some research on different organizations and other opportunities to give back to a community that had already given me so much. Now, I am in two organizations and on a committee to help put together the class of 2024’s Elephant Walk. I knew that getting involved in these extracurriculars would provide me with opportunities to grow and learn, but I had no idea to what extent.”

“My biggest takeaway has been learning how to find [my] voice.” 

“Looking back at my experience in being a transfer student, I would say my biggest takeaway has been learning how to find [my] voice,” Behling stated. “The transition into a new university was not flawless. There were times where being in a new school felt strange and nerve racking, but being able to find my voice and reach out for help in times where I needed it felt accomplishing. I wouldn’t trade my higher education experience for anything else, even if my experience wasn’t traditional. I have learned more about myself and about the inner workings of life because I took the leap of faith and transferred schools. I take pride in everything I have learned in this process, and I carry what I’ve learned with me daily.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Study Spots of College Station

Open Educational Resources: The Changing Face of Textbooks